Sunday, February 6, 2011

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day approaches. I will probably forget that it's happening, as I usually forget my own birthday sometimes.

But this year I am approaching several things a little differently. One of them is diversity. I never really thought of a type of guy that I would like before. Mostly because I didn't care. The only guys I really like are those who love Christ and could maybe keep up with my pace of life. (Haven't found one yet who is as spontaneous as me!!) But maybe I need to look beyond my fellow Caucasian Americans to Asians, Europeans and what not. I don't know of any specific traits, because you really can't judge a book by it's cover. There's always good and bad everywhere. So I will stick with piety.


Diversity is a pretty cool idea though, coming straight from Our Lady of Guadeloupe. The Spanish conquistadors did not know if they should marry the conquered natives of South America until, it was believed, that Our Lady appeared with her hands in two different colors. This appearance encouraged the bond of the marriage sacrament for the Catholic Spaniards and the natives of the land.

The scripture today also mentions the importance of shining a true Christian light on everyone. It is so tempting to move to China and try to evangelize but for the threat of sure imprisonment. So prayer and sacrifice will have to do for conversions for now. So many Saints traveled so far for the mission of the gospel. Therefore love cannot be limited to one race. If it was, none of us would get salvation.

So for Valentine's Day, if I remember which day it is, I will open my eyes and try to spread the love of Christ to everyone I meet with a smile.