Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Art of Letter Writing

I have always enjoyed writing letters. They call it z-mail these days.  Sometimes I write to to people who will never really see the letters.  I find it comforting in a way that journal writing doesn't always hit.

 It helps to even put it in an envelope, seal it up and address it. Does the post office have the address for God these days?  You can always ask your guardian angel to deliver a message too.

My new writing buddy is John Paul II.  I have no idea how to properly address him in my salutations so I either refer to him as Fr. or his full name, Roman numerals included.  And I must say he has turned out to be a quite wonderful writing partner.  In fact, I realized from his responses(theoretical of course) that people didn't always understand him because he was so deep. I get that.

Pope John Paul II is the one saint I would really love to meet when I die.  I would ask him what kind of trees there are in the hills of Poland and what birds did he like the most to hear in the early morning while camping.  The naturalist in me relates to him in this way as well.

I know it may sound a little kooky, but I highly suggest a written letter to anyone you want, Saint or not. It's up to you if you send it via snail mail or angel mail!

And if you want to write the current Holy Father,

His Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI
Apostolic Palace
00120 Vatican City


Taken from The US Embassy to the Holy See