Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Mysteries of the Rosary: Hope


At the beginning of Lent 2019 I had hoped to write on my blog as much as I could.  My main computer promptly died and I had no access to a keyboard at home. Good intentions count for Lent right?  I am now typing on a loner iPad because God is good.

My reflections on this set of mysteries are a culmination of thoughts through prayer.  If you read these, may they bring you much fruit through prayer.



Hopeful Mysteries of the Rosary

First Mystery: The Road to Emmaus

“That very same day, two of them were on their way to a village called Emmaus, seven miles from Jerusalem, and they were talking together about all that had happened. Now as they talked this over, Jesus himself came up and walked by their side: but something prevented them from recognizing him.” LK 24: 13-16
“Now while he was with them at table, he took the bread and said the blessing: then he broke it and handed it to them.  And their eyes were opened and they recognized him; but he had vanished from their sight.” LK 24:30-31

Second Mystery: Appearance to the Disciples and Thomas

“In the evening of that same day, the first day of the week, the doors were closed in the room where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews. Jesus came and stood among them. He said to them, ‘Peace be with you’, and showed them his hands and his side.” JN 20:19-20
“The doors were closed, but Jesus came in and stood among them. ‘Peace be with you’ he said.  Then he spoke to Thomas, ‘Put your finger here; look, here are my hands. Give me your hand; put it into my side. Doubt no longer but believe.’ Thomas replied, ‘My Lord and my God!’ “ JN 20: 26-28

Third Mystery: Jesus Appears to Mary his Mother

We can most assuredly assume that Jesus Risen appeared to his mother.  As one conceived without sin in order to be the Theotokos, we can only imagine the embrace of love she felt at seeing him in her knowledge of great hope as well as the feeling of home within his arms.

Fourth Mystery: Appearance on the Shore

“It was light by now and there stood Jesus on the shore, though the disciples did not realize it was Jesus.” JN 21:4
“As soon as they came ashore they saw that there was some bread there, and a charcoal fire with fish cooking on it. Jesus said to them, ‘Come and have breakfast’. JN 21:9-12
“After the meal Jesus said to Simon Peter, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me more than these others do?’ He answered, ‘Yes Lord, you know I love you’. Jesus said to him, ‘Feed my lambs’. A second time he said to him , ‘Simon son of John, do you love me?’ He replied, ‘Yes, Lord, you know I love you’.  Jesus said to him, ‘Look after my sheep’.  Then he said to him a third time, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was upset that he asked him the third time, ‘Do you love me?’ And said, ‘Lord, you know everything; you know I love you’. Jesus said to him, ‘Feed my sheep.’ JN 21: 15-17

Fifth Mystery: Appearance to Saul and his Conversion

“Suddenly, while he was traveling to Damascus and just before he reached the city, there came a light from heaven all round him. He fell to the ground, and then he heard a voice saying, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?’
‘Who are you, Lord?’ He asked, and the voice answered, ‘I am Jesus, and you are persecuting me. Get up now and go into the city, and you will be told what you have to do.” ACTS 9:3-6

All quotes from the New Jerusalem Bible 1966 Doubleday & Company: New York