Friday, March 30, 2018

Consolation of Jesus

I have wanted to write about the consolation of Jesus for months now.  This draft has been sitting in my saved box for a while.  I don't think it can be described in one small reflection.  I can say that I cannot write well about it, because I have not sought healing for long enough in my prayers. 

If I could describe the consolation of Christ, I might describe it as the relationship of Christ married to the Body of the Church.  In both His divinity and humanity He has united himself to our failure and success in love and selflessness.  Jesus is master of both as he honors this great marriage and never forsakes it.  Therefore, as a believer, how do I go about the great task of consoling the Sacred Heart of Jesus when He consoles my own?

It's so laughable, impossible even to think of doing any good that would impact the gracious, merciful heart of such a God.  That is the flaw in my thinking though, because every act or movement toward love of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is just the act He longs for.

Consider a God that unlike all before, acts in total disregard for His pride and admiration.  In fact, with every act of Jesus, he gives some warning of the lack of faith that man will have in his divinity.  Christ leaves very few men and even fewer lowly women as His believers.  He then leaves not on a fiery chariot, but on a cross of utter devastation for those who had a smidgeon of belief.

In failure, we rise if we are ready.  One of my favorite meditations is on the road to Emmaus.  the disciples downtrodden and moving away from what lay behind.  Christ always walks among us.  He guides and leads and teaches in this small way of walking with those disciples on that road. 

After such trial and horror of the crucifixion, horror because a great, joyful hope of a long awaited savior has been seemingly crushed, here on a dirt road Jesus gently coaxes faith, hope and love into the hearts of men.

So what can I do to join in His sacrifice to bring more love into this great cacophony that is the world?  I think I can continue to look on my deeds and words for what I am bringing to the table. I would ask myself these questions: Is what I am doing fulfilling the vocation God wants for me?  Are the words I speak purposeful and loving and/or kind?  Am I contemplating the consolation that Christ offers and accepting that forgiveness as well?

As in the marriage of Christ to the Church, this Christian vow we take as we honor His sacrifice each Easter holiday, is a great call to glorify Christ and console His heart in our very act of loving others.